Tuesday, February 23, 2010

ECI Evaluation

ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) came out and did Austin's evaluation on Monday & it went really well! Both a developmental specialist & a speech therapist came for the evaluation, and spent about 2 hours at our house. I really like that they do the entire program in homes- just makes it easier and more comfortable for the kids to be in the home environment. Anyway, most of the 2 hours was spent asking Shane & I VERY detailed question about things Austin is doing (milestones) & his routines. They spent a little time interacting with Austin & took his height (34 1/2 in) and weight (34 lbs), before we put him down for a nap.

To qualify for the program, the child must be at least 3 months delayed in any 1 of any of the 5 areas. I'll list the area & how Austin scored:

Social/Emotional- 18 mos
Cognitive- 17 mos
Adaptive/Self Help- 18 mos
Communication/Language (expressive & receptive)- 14 mos
Fine/Gross Motor Skills- 26 mos

Not surprising that he scored so behind in language... seeing as he says 2-3 words total & does not do things like make animal noises. On average, kids around 2 years of age use 50 words and begin putting words together. I was also not surprised that he scored high on his motor skills. Evidently that is normal to see children behind in one & ahead in the other (and especially this way for boys.) I've always known he was ahead in his motor skills from watching how much he does & how daring he can be with physical activities.

Anyway, ECI has decided to come out to the house 2 times/month to work with us. The will just integrate into play time (or whatever we are doing) & work with Austin. They will also work with me in helping give me suggestion on how to work with him on a daily basis. The speech therapist was very helpful & gave me a few things to start working on. Basically I need to be talking to him NON-STOP. She said "you should be tired of your own voice by the end of each day. And sing if you don't have anything to talk about." She also told me I need to "play dumb" with him more. Right now he can point & grunt enough to give me a general idea of what he wants- so he's getting his needs met without having to talk. So that needs to change. We're also going to get his hearing checked just to make sure there are no problems there.

The things she said I need to continue doing are 1) keep him involved is social activities such as The Little Gym, Preschool, play dates, church, etc, 2) continue learning/teaching him sign language, 3) only allow the paci during sleep time. So I feel like I was doing a pretty good job so far- just need to work on the playing dumb and talking more. I talk a lot, but not enough evidently. He is so good about playing by himself, but I need to make sure I'm constantly around him pointing out toys, giving him choices, making sounds, etc. So lots of work on both our part.

I'm definitely glad I called them, and wish I'd contacted them sooner. ECI will work with him until he's 3, and then he would move into the Keller schools program or private therapy (if necessary.) Overall I was very happy with the information/service they provided & am looking forwarded to soaking up this new information & helping Austin get to where he needs to be.

I'll keep you posted!

13 comments:

Amy said...

Glad the visit was encouraging. It sounds like you guys are really on the ball about getting Austin the help he needs, and I'm sure there will come a day when you think, "oh, my goodness will you please stop talking for a few minutes". :) I have those days a lot with Beckett. He's the opposite - not at all daring and doesn't really like to try new things but is a talker. Have fun with all of your assignments!

Holly said...

I did not know you were contacting them. We had a great experience with ECI with both Hannah and Caleb. I wish I would have started Caleb earlier than I did. I bet Austin will do great! Keep us posted. You are right, it is so nice that they come to your house, so much better than waiting in a waiting room to be seen.

Taylor Made said...

Good to hear and glad things went well. Sounds like ECI will be helpful and encouraging. Excited to hear about Austin's progress!

Kristen OQ said...

Sounds like you gained a lot of good information.

I have a VERY talkative 4 year old that I would be happy to send over to give your voice a rest (or Austin could come over here!)...seriously, Seth is never lacking in the "what should I talk about" department! Let me know and we can set up a playdate! ;)

Traci said...

That is a really encouraging visit, Whitney! Aren't you so glad that you called them? Austin is going to thrive with his speech and will do great! You will love having them come to play with him, too! :)

Emiley said...

I am so glad the evaluation well! Austin will be talking more in no time!

Alyssa said...

Sounds like a great experience! You are such a good mom to be proactive in exploring additional resources to help him....I look forward to hearing about his progress. Let me know if you need anything :)

Janell said...

It's so cool, Whitney because someday you will say to Shane,"Did we really have to do that?" It will blow your mind that it was even a concern. You are a great mother for acknowledging what needed to happen.
We already look at Addison and can't believe so many things were a concern. You will be surprised how quickly it all comes together for him!
I also felt like at 26 mo. their vocabulary EXPLODED. I am not sure what happened but something switched in their brains.

Good job, Whitney. Keep it up.
Austin will thank you one day.

Briana said...

That sounds like a great visit, and very helpful. I love that all kids are different, and it's nice to know that there is help when you need it.

Kristen said...

I know he will do great and he will get to where he needs to be. I am glad you knew about this program. I have heard so many good things about this program (being an educator). Have fun talking to him ALOT. That is all we do around here. Noah is actually my talker right now, but Emma Kate started talking first. Have fun!

April Cogburn said...

They'll help a lot. During my childcare training, they taught me to ask the children "open-ended" questions to help get children talking more. In other words, questions that make them answer in words other than yes or no or grunts. I learned a lot from the ECI people that came into my class to work with some of the kids. Soon you will be an expert. Keep it up.

Beth said...

Glad to hear the visit went well and that the information was helpful!

Kelly said...

Whitney, I'm a little behind in reading, but I echo what everyone else has said. It's kind of scary and intimidating as you start something like that for the first time. Before you know it, you'll be a pro yourself because you (and Austin) will learn so much. It's pretty amazing to see the progress they'll help make!