Today was Austin's first day of preschool, and I was really nervous about it! He still gets upset when we leave him in bible class at church, and also gets upset when we pick him up (but his teachers say he is fine during class.) So I was expecting the worse.
He will be going to 1 day a week (Mondays) at First Baptist Keller- it's great & only 5 minutes from the house! Drop off is at 9:15 & pick up at 2:15- but I got him early today because I wasn't sure if he would take a nap.
Drop off went great! He walked into the classroom all by himself and started playing with the other children (there are 8 total including Austin, equal boys and girl)- didn't really even check to make sure I was still around. After talking to his teachers (Miss Tammy & Miss Misty) for a few minutes, they distracted him & I slid out the door. I went to the office to hand in paperwork and pay tuition, and then the coordinator wanted to show me the sign in procedure back at the classroom door. As we headed back, Austin's class was coming out the door to go to music class. So I quickly hid so that he wouldn't see me. I could see him though, and was so proud to see him walking down the hall holding his teacher's hand... just as happy as could be! I was SHOCKED he didn't cry. But of course I did.
I will say it was so nice to have several hours to myself! I ran a few errands and then did some cleaning around the house before heading back at 12:30 to pick him up! When I got there all of the other kids were getting ready for a nap, and Austin was sitting at the table waiting for me. He looked a little sad & immediately started crying when he saw me. He calmed down after a minute or so, and we went in the hall to visit with Miss Tammy about his day. She said he did great all day until around noon when they were headed back from the gym- to have lunch in the room. Today was pizza today because of Valentine's Day parties, and although he loves pizza- he did not eat. I'm sure it was just because he was upset. I looked in his folder and he had a great report, and it looks like they did lots of fun things!
I'll be anxious to see how next week goes... now that he knows what to expect! I'll also try to get more pics in the coming weeks- maybe Austin with his teachers & friends. I just didn't want to push it on day 1.







11 comments:
Way to go Austin! I'm proud of you.
~ Aunt Shanna
So happy for all 3 of you that this day went smoothly!
I remember watching you go out the front door in St. Louis for your first day of school, in your little frilly dress (and brace). The school was just across from our house and I came home early that day and saw you walking home with mom; I cried too!! He'll get better each day! Love you, Dad
Way to go on a good day! You will enjoy some time to yourself and Austin will love playing with new friends!
Sounds like a great first day! I am excited for both of you :)
Good job Austin!!
What a big boy. He will totally love it and you will enjoy the time to catch your breath.
Glad he did so well! Enjoy your free time! :)
Sounds great for day 1! I am sure he will adjust quickly and make it through a whole day.
Way to go, Austin-and mommy!
WOOHOO Austin!! Such a big boy going to preschool!!! So glad he did well in his class!! (ok & your dad's post about your first day of school made me teary eyed!)
Post a Comment