It cannot be possible that my baby boy is already 2 years old.
Since I already posted pics of his birthday party, there won't be many pics on this post- just stats & what he's been up to lately!
Stats:
Weight-33 lbs 8 oz (94th percentile)
Height- 36 in (90th percentile)
What's new with Austin at 2 years old:
*Austin really enjoys coloring & playing with stickers. At least once a day he sits down at the kitchen table or picnic table (still in the family room from his birthday) & spends a good 30 minutes scribbling in one of his coloring books. When he gets tired of that, he turns to stickers. I usually have to monitor it a little... or else stickers end up on the table, walls, etc.
*He is OBSESSED with his shoes. They are the first thing he wants to play with when he gets out of bed, and he's constantly wanting me to change him into a new pair. This is so funny to me because he never wore shoes the first year of his life- he hated them. Another favorite thing to do is bring them all into the family room & put them in a big pile. Then he organizes them in a row by pairs. He also likes getting Shane's shoes out and wearing them around the house.
*Austin is still not talking much. He did say cookie & thank you (as clear as day) when my mom was here after his birthday. I have NO doubt he can talk- he is just stubborn and will not do it until he's ready. We continue with his ECI appointments twice a month, and he enjoys playing with the women during their visits.
*He has adjusted well to preschool! We still get a few tears at drop off, but Miss Misty & Miss Tammy say it only lasts for about a minute. They have commented on the fact that he is very social, happy, & busy! Just this week he felt comfortable enough to actually eat his lunch at school (before now, he wouldn't eat there & we'd have to eat at home after school.) So next week we're going to try bringing his nap mat!
*Austin does about the same at church as in school. Although he usually cries when we pick him up from bible class, but not at school anymore. I know he is having fun in class, as I check in on him on the weeks that I'm volunteering in the toddler hall. I think he just worries that we won't pick him up. :(
*He's still a pretty good eater. He's not a fan of trying new things, but if we can sneak it by- he usually loves whatever it is. He also has some texture issues, but that seems to be his personality. His favorite foods are: strawberries, dried apples, turkey dogs, ham, mac & cheese, popcorn, any kind of beans, pizza, and anything that is sweet or a carb.
*Austin continues to be a fantastic sleeper. He goes to bed between 7-8pm & wakes between 8-9am. He also takes between a 1.5-3 hr afternoon nap (shortly after lunch). In addition, he is clueless to the fact that he could easily climb out of his crib. But until he tries, he's staying in it- I'm in NO rush to get him into a toddler bed.
*He is obsessed with DVDS- mainly The Wiggles, Signing Time, Cars, Finding Nemo, & Barney. He definitely likes watching them, but even more than that... he enjoys playing with the DVD cases & watching me get the tv ready to watch one (as that is a process with 4 remotes... seriously.) He's not as interested in television, but sometimes watches Handy Manny, Imagination Movers, & Wonder Pets.
*Austin still enjoys books. I would say we read at least 30-50 books every day, and he especially enjoys sitting in our laps before bed to read. His favorite books are the ones with flaps to lift, or the ones make with foam puzzle type pieces on each page. Oh, and the ones with magnetic pieces.
*He likes counting. I know that sounds odd since he doesn't speak. He has an abacus & loves to move the beads across one at a time while I count. He also likes for me to hold his fingers and point to things and count (like in a book.) Do we have a future CPA here??
*I love this child to no end, but he is most definitely in his terrible 2s. Austin is still an extremely gentle, kind, and sweet little boy... but he has a temper & can throw a doozy of a fit. Most do not last long because I walk away & he stops. He went through a phase where he would pull my hair when he was mad, but after a few spankings... that has ceased.
*Austin gets extremely excited when he sees airplanes or trains- which is great considering a train goes through our town many times each day & we live close to 2 airports. He's constantly looking for them (especially planes) & pointing/squealing when he sees one. Oh, cows are also a fascination right now.
*He currently wears size 2T clothes & size 8 shoes.
*Austin loves being outside. He constantly runs & gets his shoes (thinking that if I put them on him, that it means we are going outside.) He also goes to the door and points outside while whining. Fun times. I try to take him out to play in the afternoons. We either go to the park, go for a ride around the subdivision in the wagon, or I just let him run on the greenbelt/in the yard. Most of the time the fun ends in a fit when it's time to go inside.
*His favorite time of the day is bath time. We have to spell "bath" because when he hears it he RUNS to the bathroom & starts jumping up and down in excitement. His favorite part is playing with the water coming out of the faucet, and filling up his bucket and pouring it out. Getting out of the tub is usually the source of yet another fit. Overall he loves water- so I just enrolled him in swim lessons (where I will get in the pool with him.) They last for 3 months this summer at an indoor pool close to the house! Plus I'm sure we will be spending lots of time at the neighborhood pool and playing in the sprinklers/kiddie pool in our back yard!
*Austin plays with our cats all the time. When we walk in the door, the first thing he does is look for Max & Jack. He also likes to get right in their faces & kiss them, or tries to lift them/hold them. He does pretty well with Jack, but Max is a different story. He has become more cautious with dogs. He was fearless of them until a recent trip to my grandmother's house when the neighbor's dog ran over and licked him in the face. Since then he still loves to see dogs, but clings to me when they get close.
*He is making more friends & is getting to the point where he is excited to see them (in person or in a picture) & also enjoys when I talk about his friends.
*Austin's favorite toys: anything he can ride, Mr. Potato Head, instruments (horns, drums, etc), Thomas the Train flashlight, puzzles (especially this new Noah's Ark 3D puzzle that he got for his birthday), and anything that he can take out & then put back into a container.
*He still enjoys his Little Gym class & is getting really good at all the skills they are teaching. He even spends more time on the mat at the beginning of class with everyone else (rather than roaming & doing his own thing.) We are planning to take a break from it to start swimming this summer, and then I'm considering gymnastics for him this fall.
That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are tons of other things! It's hard to believe how much he's growing and learning each day. One day I'm going to turn around and he'll be pulling out of the driveway on his way to college. I felt like my parents when I just said that...







5 comments:
Wow, he weighs as much as my 4 year old :). He is such a cutie! I love his eyes...those are "heartbreaker" eyes. I remember when you were showing off your growing stomach...hard to believe it's been over 2 years since those posts!
Great post!
I still cannot believe he is two; time is flying by. Yes, I remember very clearly the day we drove away from you at Harding U., and we both cried all the way back to St. Louis.
But, you turned out pretty good and I'm sure Austin will be just like his Mom and Pop, only smarter!! Love you Dad
I LOVE reading your milestone updates on Austin!! Him & Isabella are SO similar!! I wish you were still here so they could play together! I know they'd have a blast!!! (and so would we) :)
Love your list...love to see what other 2 year olds are doing. :) He is getting so big! He is precious!
What a fun stage this is??
Post a Comment