Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Timeout

Now that Austin is 18 months old, I figured it was time to start trying timeout. Austin, like every child, does not always listen to what mommy & daddy say.... and spanking was just NOT working on this kid. I could spank him & it was like I never did a thing- no crying, no pouting, nothing. I even thought I'd spank him a little harder- but nothing.

Yesterday was Day 1, and he did really well! All 3 times were for getting into drawers that he is not supposed to get into (in our bedroom.) After I found him in "the act", I went and got him & told him why he was going into timeout. Our timeout spot is going to be on the mat at the front door (yes, INSIDE). One of my friends does her timeouts there, and I really like it (thanks Kristen!) That way I can still see him, yet there is NOTHING to do at the front door besides sit and think about what he's done! So as soon as I placed him on the mat, he started crying. Now I just KNEW he would get up several times, but he never did! I was so proud! I went into the kitchen and set the timer for 90 seconds and then did not look at him. After about 30 seconds he quit crying and just sat there. When the timer went off, I went in and got down on his level. I once again explained what he did wrong, and the "good" decision that he needs to make next time when minding mommy. During the talk, I made him look me in the face & of course he got his feelings hurt and started crying. Overall, I think it's going to work & I know he understands that he is in trouble when in timeout.

So here are a few pics of Austin in timeout. Yes, the timer had gone off & so it was officially over- but I'm sure he still thought I was crazy for taking a picture of him. Oh well, have to document these firsts!! :)

My sensitive boy

2 comments:

Dallas said...

That face is pitiful...good for you though! I ended up having to get a "time out" rug for Nora. Before too long, all I had to do was point to the rug and she knew exactly what to do.

Kristen said...

We do the same thing...the mat by the front door. We respond to spankings too.