Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sleeping

I wanted to document these two things about Austin's sleeping habits:

He likes sleeping in his carseat! He usually pitches a small fit when we first put him in, but once we get in the car & start up his favorite instrumental CD- he's OUT. Of course this makes running errands great!


Austin loves to be swaddled when he sleeps (overnight and naps)! When he starts getting fussy, nothing calms him down like being swaddled! We use the miracle blanket swaddle because it's the most difficult for him to get out of- it's like a straight jacket! Anyway when you put it on, you have to lift up his legs to tuck it under his back. He's so smart and now he automatically lifts his legs at the right time when we are swaddling him. It just shows how excited he gets to be swaddled!!! He's started making his way out of it by morning (see picture below), so GiGi is sewing a bigger one when she visits next week! I've had several people comment that it's so cute that he still likes to be swaddled- is that weird? How long did you swaddle your babies?

My parents arrive this Wednesday for the holiday weekend! They are coming in early so that they can watch Austin while Shane & I got out to celebrate our 9th Anniversary on Thursday! Then Shane's parents arrive for the weekend! It should be lots of fun to all be together!!!

9 comments:

Kristen said...

Too cute! We started to kick our blankets off so I quit after about 8 weeks. I don't know when you quit. My friends dr. said 3 months. I am not sure though. Good question! Good to see him last week. Have fun with family! :)

Kim P. said...

We finally stopped swaddling Ryan a few weeks ago, but started again the past couple nights. I use a crocheted blanket so that way if he works his way out and it gets close to his face he can still breathe through it. My cousin swaddled her son the whole first year! I think Caren stopped with Maizie when she found her rolled onto her tummy still swaddled, but Ryan doesn't ever really try that. I'd say keep doing it until it doesn't work or help anymore!

Dallas said...

Elyn loved to be swaddled! In fact, she loved it so much that we kept swaddling her until she was almost 7 months old. I was terrified of weaning her of it because she was such a good swaddled sleeper...but, we did it gradually. At first, I would swaddle her with one arm out (for about two weeks), and then I swaddled her with both arms out, and then we were done with it. And believe it or not, she is still an excellent sleeper! All of this to say...swaddle him as long as he will let you. There is nothing sweeter than a swaddled baby!!!!!

Joni & Al said...

I don't really remember when we stopped swaddling Tay. Maybe around 5 months?? She loved it when she was little, but then when she started moving around a lot in her sleep, we just stopped and it wasn't an issue. I just say do it until it doesn't work for you anymore. It could be such a gradual change that you won't even remember when you swiched...like us!

Jody said...

He is just too cute!

That is going to be fun for your families to be together again!
Tell everyone we said hello.

We swaddled Addison until she was almost 6 months b/c she loved it. I was also terrified of weaning her from it. With reflux and preemie issues it really helped her a lot! Alex loved it but become way to chunky for it. He broke out of every blanket ; ) by 3 months! I was very thankful that my kids loved to be swaddled b/c it really helps in the night!

Your family is precious. Happy early Anniversary. Your wedding was also gorgeous!
J

Jamie Chitty said...

Hi Whitney! I am so glad that you posted so now I can keep up with you as well. I am so happy to see that you and Shane are doing so well. Your little boy is adorable. I love those cheeks!!

Alyson said...

We never swaddled Caroline and Michaela. I think it was mostly because I had no idea how to do it! If I'd had a cool swaddling blanket like you, it might have caught on at our house. Also, Michaela started rolling over on her own when she was just 2 weeks old, so I guess it's good that we didn't swaddle her since she would have had a hard time getting back over to her back without any arms at her disposal!

Kim said...

Oh my-those cheeks!! I would love to get my hands on that baby! What a doll.

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.