Sunday, April 6, 2008

Our first few days without GiGi

Well, my mom (Austin's GiGi) left this past Friday after being here for 3 weeks. I was VERY nervous to be "on my own" & had a mini meltdown on my way home from the airport. Thankfully Shane has been so supportive & very helpful with Austin.

Shane is doing a temporary 3 month sales job from our house right now, so he's home 24/7- no travel! I'm so happy because he's here to help out when I'm at that breaking point (all you moms out there know what I'm talking about!)

Overall things are going great though & getting easier with time! We are both a bit sleep deprived as expected, and I need to force myself to rest more. I always find 1000+ things to do while Austin is asleep. As most of you know, it's hard for me to live in chaos & it kills me when everything isn't in "it's place" in the house... definitely something I'm going to have to get over!
Must go for now- here are some pictures from the past week!

Isn't it funny how he's sitting? I imagine this was how he was positioned in my belly!











What a cutie!!











Helping Daddy work.. kinda











Napping after eating











18 comments:

April Cogburn said...

He sure is a cutie!

Kim P. said...

It is scary to be on your own that first time, but you'll adjust and do great. But yes, you do have to learn to live in some chaos or you'll be exhausted and frustrated all the time! I'm still working on that...

myra said...

Austin is just precious! And I remember that panicked feeling when my mom left after Morgandy was born. That is so great that Shayne is going to be there for awhile. Pretty soon you'll feel like you've been doing this your whole life.

Allison said...

Oh Whitney, can I ever relate to your "melt down". I cried when my mom left after her 10 day stay with us when Hudson was born...AND I cried and cried again when she left after I had Harper.

It was 2 different fears for me. First, can I take care of this baby "all by myself?" Then it was can I handle 2 kids "all by myself??"

It does get easier and easier with each passing day, and YES you need to rest when he is asleep! Austin is precious!

CM said...

Sweet boy! I remember so well that feeling of needing to get things done when Taylor was napping, so I barely ever napped during the day. Wait, come to think of it, I'm still doing that! Well, there is always another day for sleep, huh? Cute pictures. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG I love love love the picture of him with his eyes open. He is beautiful.

Don't worry about being on your own. The "mommy" instincts know when to kick in. You'll do great!

Keep the pictures coming!

Kim said...

Oh Whitney! Austin is so beautiful! I know what you mean about breaking point. Hang in there... it really does get better with time. Write stuff down... the first few months is duch a blur. You're in my prayers!

Holly said...

So very sweet. I remember after having Hannah home about a week, thinking I am never going to be able to get dressed for the day, get out of the house or get anything else done. Rest as much as you can, I wasn't good at that and needed it so badly!

Holly said...

Also, I named my Grandmother GiGi! There are not many around but the ones that are sure are special.

Taylor Made said...

Awhhh, the last one is my favorite, so sweet! He looks tiny in your arms Whitney. Zach and I were just talking about your mom going home and putting their house on the market, ha! Those first grandbabies have more tricks up their sleves than we know. I am sure you are an exceptional new mommy, hang in there. Tell Shane hello, we miss you guys.

Karie said...

precious pics! it was so great to talk to you the other day. i look forward to finishing our conversation when the babies allow!

love and miss ya,
karie

Amie said...

austin is just adorable! hang in there, it really does get easier, especially after austin gets into a routine/schedule. try to get used to a little disorder around your house...it only grows as he crawls, gets into things and has toys everywhere. i remember my first day as a stay at home mom with my three kids..i was going to have all laundry done, dishes done, house totally cleaned with everything in its place AND 3 clean kids..it didn't happen, i was frustrated and ready for bed before the kids. chris was very encouraging and let me know that i did the best that i could possibly do with 3 kids. enjoy the peacefullness of the day and try to rest, there is always another day to clean.

Kristen said...

I am sure you are doing GREAT! You seem like such a great mom. :)
I was actually the opposite when everyone left. Maybe because it was 4 weeks of help. I was ready to conquer this by myself.
It is hard for me to take naps when they nap. I just want to clean and pick up. I understand.
I can't wait to meet him next week and get together. He is precious! :)
Sounds like you guys are doing well.

Amy McCown said...

The thoughts in your post were exactly what I was feeling right after my mom left. I am like you and do not like things in disarray and it can be so overwhelming. Over time it does get better and having an understanding husband helps. Austin is so sweet curled up on your chest like that. He is so cute.

Alyssa said...

I love those sweet pictures of Austin! He is so adorable. Enjoy these sweet days of sleep deprivation and sweet chest cuddles...it is gone bofore you know it.

Keith-Suzanne said...

I think he looks just like his daddy!

Jody said...

Ah meltdowns....... I still have them when my mom leaves me! You are doing great! If Austin is still breathing... YOU are doing great! Please rest... please! Mobility seems far away, but then you really won't rest!
Lots of hugs,
Janell

Anonymous said...

Austin is such a doll baby!
I had my first meltdown right when we got home from the hospital, I felt so overwhelmed. I also
cried and cried when my mom left. Becoming a mom just sweetens that bond between mother & daughter all the more. I'm sure you are doing awesome--you look great in all the pictures!