Friday, April 25, 2008

Sleep Patterns

UPDATE: As of Sunday morning, Austin has now slept 8 hr stretches per night for the last THREE nights! This is awesome!!

First off, let me apologize to all of you who were checking my blog in hopes of new pictures- sorry! We'll try to take some this weekend!

So I'm writing this post because of Austin's CRAZY sleep patterns recently! For the first 3 weeks of his life, he would go 4 hrs between feedings (us having to wake him up sometimes.) At around 4 weeks he decided that he would change it to 3 hrs, but give us a 5 hr stretch at night! Well yesterday he decided to only go 2 hrs at a time (I thought I was going to die!) But then to my surprise this morning...I had to wake him up after 8 HOURS. Yes, I jumped out of bed when I noticed the time to make sure he was still breathing!!! I'm sure it's a one time thing, but who knows! Is this normal???? All I know is that it was really nice to get some uninterrupted sleep last night!

My mom is coming into town tomorrow to stay with Austin & I while Shane is in California at a company meeting next week! We're looking forward to spending some time with GiGi again! I'm sure she won't recognize Austin, as he's changed so much in the last 3 weeks since she last saw him! :) Wow, I can't believe my baby boy is already 6 weeks old!!

Everyone have a fantastic weekend!

20 comments:

Andy & Deborah said...

I want you to know I have the blog bug. Since I've been checking your blog since the beginning of your pregnancy, I decided to create a one. It is a great way to keep family informed of what's going on. I check your blog daily to see pictures of Little Austin. He is the cutest thing! I know Jimmy and Cindy are thrilled to be grandparents! I hope we were the ones to send Austin his first mail so our names could go in his baby book. He is so precious. I will pray that his sleep patterns will straighten out very soon...for your sake! Thanks again for sharing with us your little bundle of joy!

Holly said...

There is a book that saved my sanity, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I would be glad to let you borrow it, just let me know if you want to read it.

Kristen said...

Noah and Emma did that at 6 weeks. I read in my book that 6 weeks in one of their growth spurt times.
It wore me out too! YAY for him sleeping for 8 hours. That is AMAZING! Go Austin! YAY for you!
I would have jumped out of bed too! Have fun with Gigi. We have Grandparents coming too.

Kim P. said...

I think most anything falls within "normal" range for a 6 week old =) I think Ryan started sleeping longer at night at about 6 weeks, so I say just enjoy it! Also, Ryan went from eating every 4 hours back to every 3 hours once he started sleeping longer at night. They still have to get the same amount of food in 24 hours so they have to eat more during the day to sleep at night. The trade off is worth it to me! I hope the long sleeping at night continues!

Rebekah Scott, M.MFT, LPC, LMFTA said...

Hey Whitney, I have been keeping up I just have not had time to comment I know that is crazy but.... anyway Congratulations (even if late) he is so perfect. I would love to meet little Austin one day surely I'll be in your area. How are things going it sounds like you have adjusted well. I look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing funny and fun stories!!! Bek

Kristen OQ said...

Whoohoo! Sleeping for his mama already -- what a good baby boy!

Allison said...

Don't you just feel like a new person when you start sleeping again?! That is great Austin is such a wonderful sleeper. A good sleeper= one happy mama!

lauren said...

How wonderful (for you guys especially)!! James started sleeping through the night at around 8 weeks, but would have bad nights here and there. There is nothing like getting a full night's sleep!

Amy S. said...

Wow, Whitney. I'm SO jealous. I know Luke is a couple weeks younger than Austin but he is not sleeping anything like Austin. He is up almost every two hours at night and wants to sleep in bed with me instead of the bassinet. Doesn't make for a very restful sleep! It sounds like you are doing an awesome job with Austin!! Congratulations on the three straight nights of sleep - for both you and Austin!

April Cogburn said...

Lena started sleeping through the night at 7 weeks. It started here and there at 6 weeks, and then at 7 weeks, she decided to keep it up.

Keith-Suzanne said...

You lucky girl! I don't think Nick was sleeping 8 hours until he was almost 2 months old! Yay for you!!! Thats awesome!!

Jessica said...

Wow, Consider yourself very blessed! Cohen didn't sleep through the night until he was 9 mnths old(yes that is months) and there were times he was up every hour...Ughhh. I thought I was going to have a total breakdown! Thankfully Emery is better but she is 3 mnths old and her max is 5 hours. Soo good job Austin! You know how to keep mamma HAPPY!!

Joni & Al said...

Wow! You guys are lucky. I read all the books, followed all the advice, etc, but couldn't get Taylor to sleep through the night. We had it pretty good around 3 months, then she went through a growth spurt and had to have feedings at night. Then we went through a period where she just wanted her pacifier and would go back to sleep in 15 seconds so it wasn't worth it to us to let her "cry it out". About a month ago was a bad teething spell so that threw everything out of whack. I've just learned to not get used to anything. For the last couple of weeks she's been a champ (at 8 months), but she also has a little stomach bug that is wearing her out. Take it while you can, hopefully it will last awhile!

CM said...

Wow, Whitney - love every minute of that 8 hours of sleep! I would have paid a lot of money for that when Taylor was 6 weeks...

Taylor Made said...

WOW! You have to share your trick. 8 hour nights sounds doo-able.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are lucky! What a good baby! Both of mine were 12 weeks before they slept 8 hours...and I thought that was good...still do. It's amazing what a difference a few hours of sleep can make!

Anonymous said...

Now that you know that he CAN do it. It'll never be the same when he doesn't.

Kim said...

Whitney-
I ran across your blog from Dallas's blog which I got from Karie's blog after Karie posted on my blog that she got from someone else!
I hope you remember me-Kim Gibbins at Harding/married Jordan Harr.
Your baby boy is beautiful!
And I LOVE the nursery!
Congratulations!
Kim

Kim said...

Whitney-
Where did you get Austin's curtains and bedding-TOO cute! I love his nursery.
Kim

Taylor Made said...

I know, but I have no choice but to live on the edge. I am just hoping he gives us 6-7 more weeks to prepare. I am hosting a shower for another girl here May 18th. We are glad to have the deadline though, then I will for sure be finished with house stuff and can move on to baby. Is Austin still sleeping 8 hours? If so, you are soooooo LUCKY and way to go ACL! Is your mom still there and have you had fun? I know Gigi would love to be there all the time. We can't wait to meet Ausin!