In honor of April 1st, Austin's official due date, I thought I'd document the story of his birth! Not only do I want to have it written for myself, but I know all of you are just DYING to hear all about it! :)
After one day of bedrest for high blood pressure, I woke up at 6:45 on Friday, March 14th when my water broke. The very first thing I thought was, "Oh my goodness, this is NOT happening on Shane's birthday." As soon as I told Shane, he jumped out of bed! Jumped up faster than he did the morning I said "Shane, the pregnancy test is positive!" Shane got in the shower while I finished packing the hospital bags, put the sheets in the washer, called my parents, etc.
We left the house around 8:15 and headed to the hospital- got there around 9:00 because there was some traffic. After they got me all hooked up to the monitors, the nurse asked if I was going to have an epidural... UM YES- NOW PLEASE. At that point I was 4 cm dilated. The contractions started coming pretty hard and fast... and I was NOT happy. Shane later said that I about broke his hand because I was grabbing it so hard! He was wonderful though- very supportive. Fanning me, getting me ice chips, encouraging me, helping me breath, etc. Around 10:30 I got the epidural and life was much better! They checked me around 11:00 and I was 8 cm- then fully dilated by 12:30! This was going to be a BREEZE!
Well, evidently the epidural was too strong because I couldn't feel ANYTHING. We did a "test push" and the nurse said that I wasn't doing anything. So they turned down the epidural and we waited 45 min and tried again. We waited another 45 min. Finally at around 3:30 I was able to feel pressure and actually know WHEN to push with the contractions.
After 3 hours of pushing, the doctor decided that Austin was NOT coming out. Not only was he not able to get under my pelvic bone, but he turned during delivery and was face up instead of face down. So she said that a c-section was our best option. At that point, I didn't care- I just wanted him OUT!
So they wheeled me into the operating room. They started cutting me open before Shane got in, so he got to see that when he came in (which he loved, by the way... GROSS.) The doctors had a very difficult time pulling Austin out- he was really stuck! One funny note, when they cut open my uterus, the doctors starting laughing because Austin stuck his hand out! Isn't that funny?
At 6:48 I heard him cry- and it was the sweetest sound I'd ever heard! Of course I cried. And cried. And cried a bit more. Shane went over and took pictures & then brought him over to me. I finally got to hold my little boy once we got into the recovery room- and instantly fell in love with him. :)
Austin Cole Lumpkins, 7lbs 8 oz, 20 in.







20 comments:
I love it!!! You will be so glad you wrote this down so soon.
It is awesome that you fell in love so fast. Precious!!!
Congrats!! I had to laugh when you said you put the sheets in the washer!! I would have done the same thing. :) Glad everything went well. He is such a beautiful baby!!
That's adorable. I loved that he stuck his hand out. :) My water broke with Bella when I was lying in bed, And yes, I too put my sheets in the washer, ... and also took a quick shower and shaved my legs too!
That sound almost EXACTLY like my delivery story with Nora. I dialted super quick, couldn't feel to push, turned off my epidural, felt to push, pushed for 1.5 hours, she was turned, turned the epidural back on, c-section, she was stuck, then she cried.
I hope you are doing well and loving your little boy!
Great Story! I am so glad you and Austin are doing great. :)
Maybe sometime we will meet him.
We can't get out for another 4 weeks. I am sure you are the same.
Hope you are having a great time being a mom--it is great!
I love reading every detail about how God brings each of His creation into this world. I loved the part when Austin stuck his hand out....a little help here! I sense the excitement and joy that he's finally here from both of you. I pray for God to bless your family as He has given you the responsibility and the gift of Little Austin. He is BEAUTIFUL!!
I just remember it was a long day for ME, so Kevin and I couldn't imagine how long of a day it was for you and Shane! ;)
And you will love having this story written down someday!
I laughed too about the sheets. See you soon!!
i am also laughing about you putting the sheets in the wash! i about died when i heard that your water broke in bed! i was afraid that mine would do that too!
i have been dying to talk to you. can you e-mail me you phone number and i will call you! things have been so crazy around here, as evidenced by my lack of updating my blog!! but i really want to catch up with you!
love ya,
In regards to all of the comments to me putting the sheets in the washer... Yes, I couldn't stand the thought of them sitting there for several days all wet while I was in the hospital!
And SO many people thought I was crazy for worrying about my water breaking in bed- but it happens! I had put one of Austin's Ultimate Crib Sheets on my side of the bed- and it totally saved our mattress!
OK you made me tear up. Isn't it amazing what you would go through for a child even though you hadn't even met yet. I'm glad you both are safe. Enjoy him!!! And give him lots of kisses from his biggest fan in CT
I worried about my water breaking in the bed also and I would have washed my sheets first too. Layton's delivery was very similar. I had the same issues with back labor, the epidural, and pushed for 3 1/2 hours before my c-section. Layton even had a scrape on his head from my pelvic bone. I remember laying there thinking that I may not want to have any more kids, but a few months later I told someone it really was not that bad. Having that sweet little baby makes it all worth it. I am sure you are so tired right now. Hang in there it gets better.
I love the story and so happy for you guys! I'm ready to come up and visit!!! We'll see you soon!
I'm getting excited about 8/28. We find out in two weeks the gender!
That is so precious. You will love having it all written down. I can't wait to meet Austin next week when I bring you food:) See you soon.
My water broke in bed when we had Caroline... you may as well get a water-proof sheet for your bed until Austin is old enough to be past leaky diapers or accidents while learning to potty train, JUST IN CASE. I know we've been thankful for ours on MANY occasions whether accidents or throw-up or whatever... babies tend to end up in bed with you more often than you'd think! I pushed for four hours with Caroline and thankfully she finally made her way out, but I probably would have jumped at the c-section if they'd offered it. Just glad Austin made it safely into the world! (Tara's shower is on Sunday, and I've got your gift ready to go!)
What a touching story! I'm just so glad that everything turned out well and you have your sweet baby boy in your arms. He's so cute!!
I hope things are going great! I can't wait to see him, he is a cutie!
I think Papa Jim needs to hound you for more pictures on the blog! (hint hint)
This is obviously way late, but I'm just now catching up. I love reading birth stories -- I pushed 2.5 hours with my first son -- I can't imagine 3 HOURS and THEN going to a C-section. I'm so glad that he came safely. He looks like such a sweetie!!
Post a Comment