Monday, October 18, 2010

A busy bee

I feel like Austin is never satisfied unless we are actively doing SOMETHING. So recently we've been doing a lot of activities and crafts around the house. I wanted to document a few:

Painting- we still stick with watercolors most of the time, but he loves it!

Very serious, as usual.


Helper #1- he likes to grab the paint brushes & run off


Helper#2- he just watches


End result


Coloring- I've started giving Austin blank pages to color instead of coloring books...encouraging a bit more creativity. He's also learning to use the roll up crayons! His favorite part is probably taking all of the crayons out & putting them back in his camo pencil bag. Imagine that... he likes sorting/organizing.

Notice helper #1 is back


Playing- we do this daily, but on this particular day he took every single toy out of his toy box & put them on the couch. He had lots of fun in the chaos.

All the toys on the couch


What a mess


Watching tv from his new favorite spot


Crafts- I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a ton of craft items (thanks to my friend, Leah, who make me a very helpful list of supplies and activities.) Unfortunately Austin does not like to watch me do something and then do it himself- he wants everything to be his idea. So craft time only lasted about 30 minutes total. But we made some cute things!

The pumpkin mask which he liked holding and looking through the eye holes (can't tell in this pic- but the eyes are cut out & the mouth and nose are glued on.)


Macaroni necklace and pipe cleaner bracelet


Cooking- Austin LOVES helping me in the kitchen. I don't have pictures of everything, but recently he liked helping me make blueberry muffins, chocolate chip cookies (for his teachers' birthdays), and pigs-in-a-blanket. I also made sugar cookies and then we decorated them together for Halloween!

Loved all the different sprinkles


Some of the finished products


Playing with beans- another idea from my friend Leah. He loves pouring them from one container to another, spooning them, and sometimes using funnels. I've only come in once to find all of the beans in his lap & on the floor. It took the two of us forever to clean up that mess, so he hasn't done it again since!

Sorting


My little bean counter (chip off the old block)


Computer literacy- he likes to type on Shane's computer A LOT.... and does it whenever he gets a chance!

Getting a little out of control!


Getting to be such a big boy

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey, I think for that age, 30 minutes of craft time is way impressive! Love the noodle necklace! :)

Taylor Made said...

Great ideas! I love that he is so into doing things with is hands, artsy. Such a cute little boy, you can just see the sweetness!