Thursday, April 9, 2009

Colorado Trip

Last Thursday we left for our first trip alone without Austin... and I'll admit I was REALLY sad. When I was rocking Austin to sleep on Wednesday night AND before his nap on Thursday morning, I cried. But I didn't cry when we headed to the airport! Friday was probably the hardest day because it was my first day in over a year to not see him at all...but we survived AND had a wonderful trip!

Our flight was delayed a few hours so we ate lunch at the airport before heading to Denver. Our good friends, Jared & Leah, picked us up at the airport (their flight came in earlier.) We met Jared & Leah in our childbirth classes & their son, Reid, is just 2 weeks younger than Austin! So this was our first time to get away together without the boys and really get to know one another!
After a very scenic drive in the mountains, we arrived in Dillon where the condo was located. We got settled & then headed into town to look around and eat dinner! We ate at this great little local place where you pick out your steak and then cook it yourself- it was fun (and yummy!) We headed to bed early because we had an early start on Friday morning!

Leah & I with our fillets


Cooking our steaks


Friday we spent the day at Winter Park! Jared & Leah went skiing while Shane & I did other things (since I can't ski because of the problems with my leg.) So we shopped for a while, then took the lift up to the top of the mountain & ate lunch in the lodge. Jared & Leah met us afterwards for some hot chocolate, then went off skiing again. We took the lift back down and got pelted with snow- I think there was close to 10" of fresh snow that day! We spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the resort & relaxing before heading back to the condo. We were all exhausted so we did some shopping followed by a fancy dinner of pizza & wine! :) And a movie!

The lift that we took up to the lodge for lunch


Outside the lodge after lunch- it was COLD!


Taking another ride at Winter Park


A scenic stop on our way back


Saturday we slept in and then headed to Copper Mountain. Jared & Leah did more skiing while we went tubing! We had a blast! I was a little hesitant at first, but after a while I was going down the fast slopes, going over jumps, going down on my tummy, racing Shane, spinning, etc! We met Leah for lunch afterwards while Jared finished up skiing, and then we headed to Vail for some shopping! That evening we ate a wonderful dinner in Breckenridge & then went to relax in the hot tub for a bit! That day we got almost 20" of snow- crazy, huh?

Sledding





Vail




Dinner in Breckenridge (can you tell the guy behind us was annoyed with the picture taking??)




Sunday was our last day, so we spent the morning cleaning up the condo before heading back into Denver. We ate lunch at Cheesecake Factory (so yummy) and then headed to the airport! Overall we had a WONDERFUL time and cannot wait until our next "no kids" trip with Jared & Leah! Thanks again for inviting us along guys, and for being such a wonderful tour guide, Jared!

I will admit that I was SO excited to get home and see my sweet little boy though! My mom and her best friend, Linda were keeping Austin while we were gone! My two aunts also decided to come join the fun, so needless to stay Austin was spoiled by 4 grandma's this week! Thanks to Gigi, Nana, Granna, and Nana for taking care of our little boy!

Pics of Austin in the next post...including his 1 yr pictures!

9 comments:

Kelly said...

My kind of ski trip is being there, but no skiing. :) Looks like fun.

We enjoyed seeing y'all last night. Austin is a cutie!

Ashlee said...

Way to go on your first trip out. It looks like you had great fun and I am sure you appreciated Austin all the more on your return!

Cousin Stacie said...

That sounds like so much fun! Curtis and I flew to Denver, then to Durango (Purgatory) in January for our anniversary. That is kind of a tradition that we do every year to celebrate and get away from the kiddos. It was the best skiing that we have ever experienced because of the great snow. Even though we just went, I'm still jealous!!!!!!!!!!!! Now we are gearing up for lake season, our first trip will be in two weeks! Can't wait.

Dallas said...

I am so glad you had fun! I am jealous of your trip. How awesome to have gotten so much snow while you were there. I'm glad you survived your first trip away from your baby.

Andy & Deborah said...

I'm so glad you two got away and had a wonderful time in such a beautiful place. Those pictures are breathtaking! Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Kim said...

That is so wonderful you guys did this. Sounds perfect-I'm ready to go....

myra said...

I'm so proud of you for doing this! Looks like you had a lot of fun! And it sounds like Austin was very well cared for while you were away. :)

Holly said...

Wow! What a fun trip. Next time Austin needs to come stay with me!

Sandi said...

Maybe that guy in the picture was in the Witness Protection Program and didn't want his picture broadcast on the web! :)