Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Destin 2009



I realize this post is about a month late, but things have been busy around here! So in mid-September we headed to Destin to visit my parents! We hadn't visited in a year, so I was looking forward to taking Austin to the beach!

I was honestly quite terrified of the plane ride- 2 hours on a SMALL plane with a busy 18 month old (during nap time and without his own seat.) Well, I was right to be concerned... it was NOT a good experience! First of all, I woke up sick that morning- and it's never fun to travel when you are sick. Then we had the worst flight attendant EVER (who obviously did not have any children of her own).. she was all over us for the silliest things like putting stuff in the seat back pockets. Seriously, WHAT ARE THEY FOR? The backpack of toys and snacks lasted for about 10 min- he was bored before we ever left the ground. I won't go into details, but it wasn't fun. His ears also started hurting during landing, so then everyone around us got to experience the screaming. I didn't even care at that point because I felt so bad that there was nothing I could do to make it better. ANYWAY, he was exhausted and never even took a nap that first day.

We spent the majority of the trip just spending time with my parents- which we all really enjoyed! Austin loves playing with Papa Jim & Gigi, and they love spoiling him! Gigi had lots of fun toys that kept him very busy! We also got to eat at some of our favorite places on the beach with some of my parents closest friends- who love our little Austin like he is their own!
Playing with new toys


Going for a ride


Learning to say Papa


Playing with Gigi behind the door on the patio






Loving the grass on the golf course


Eating at Pompano Joe's


Cool cat


Family shot... not the best


As for the beach, Austin was very hesitant at first. He would lift his feet up so that his toes wouldn't be in the sand- I guess he didn't like how it felt. But by the 2nd time we went, he loved it! He would play in the sand, go sit in the water as the waves came in, and chased the birds! I know he is going to love it more and more each time we visit!


Enjoying the sand & water (sorry for so many pics)












Playing in the sand


Chasing the birds

Time to go- this one just made me laugh...


Austin also ended up getting developing an ear infection (his first) while we were there, so we made a quick trip to the urgent care center & he was feeling 100% better by the time we left to head home! Thankfully our trip home was much better- probably because he'd taken a morning nap and we traveled in the evening! Lesson learned.

It was a great trip overall & we can't wait to go back-hopefully next year!

5 comments:

Linda A. said...

Oh my "Little Lumpkin"........LOVE ALL YOUR NEW PHOTOS YOUR MOMMY POSTED! Your trip to Destin was so much fun for all of us. We are so glad your Mommy and Daddy share you with us. WE Love You Austin.....( & Mommy & Daddy, too)...Your Nana in Destin

Kasey said...

OMG - He is so sweet, Whitney! You are a great photographer - I love the ones on the beach!

Kelly said...

Looks like such a fun trip. And don't worry, the plane rides get easier. We could tell a HUGE difference from last summer (18 mos) to this year when we flew with Tate. Much more enjoyable for all of us!

Wendi said...

Looks like such a great trip! I'm sure you enjoyed family time. And the Austin/ocean pictures are super cute. See you soon!

Joni & Al said...

Don't apologize for all the pictures, they're great! What a beautiful beach and what great pictures of Austin on the beach. How fun!