Sunday, June 14, 2009

15 Months Old

UPDATED- Stats from Austin's 15 month appointment below

I've decided that I'm not going to do the monthly posts about Austin anymore (the ones where I talk about what new things he's doing on his monthly birthday)- probably more like every 3 months now! I'll still be posting new pics and updates on what we're doing like before though! So Austin turned 15 months old today, and here's what he's up to!



*Austin is walking! He's been walking for about 6 weeks now, and he's getting FAST. I feel like all I do is chase him around the house! He's not really interested in any of his toys right now either- only in walking around and exploring everything in the house. Therefor, he gets bored very quickly.. it's going to be a long summer....

*He's still a fantastic sleeper! He sleeps around 12 hours at night, and then takes 2 naps during the day (ranging from 1-3 hrs each.) Our routine for nap time and bedtime is the same- we rock him for about 2 min, then lay him in his crib. If he is really tired he just goes straight to sleep. If not, he plays for a while in his crib until he falls asleep. The only reason I ever have to go back in there is if he's tossed his paci(s) out of the crib. He will also sleep through really loud noises (like hail, or even the when we got the house re-roofed.)

*Austin loves his pacifier. He didn't really "need" it until he started teething, and now he has it most of the time. I can tell it's going to be a hard habit to break.

*He's trying to talk more. Right now he still only says Mama & Dada, but I can tell that he wants to say more.

*Austin has started throwing temper tantrums- BIG TIME! It is especially bad when he is tired, but it can happen whenever. He gets mad when I take something away from him, or when I close the pantry or fridge door (so that he cannot play in there.) He flails his body around, does the arch-back, screams, etc. Lots of fun. I've learned to just walk away and let him throw a fit- just ignore it. That usually ends it pretty quickly (that or when he hurts himself.)

*He only takes one bottle a day now- before bed. He still refuses to drink any milk cold, so he mostly sips on water all day long (with a little watered down apple juice in the morning.)

*Austin is a little fish! He loves the water- whether it's a bath or going swimming. Now that he's been swimming, the thinks it's lots of fun to splash water everywhere during bath time. Mommy doesn't think it's so fun.

*He seems to be taking more interest in different toys- even ones that don't make noise. He likes his wooden blocks, big Lego's, and plastic tools.

*Austin likes spending time with other children- no matter their age. He loves to follow our neighbors around when they are outside. It's not that he even wants to play- he just gets right next to them and watches. He does enjoy playing more with children around his own age. I'm thinking I'm going to start taking him to Little Gym or Gymboree. Speaking of summer activities that are NOT outside- anyone have suggestions? It gets SO hot here, and he gets SO bored inside the house.

*His favorite foods are: black beans, rice, lima beans, fish sticks (gross), pudding, pasta with marinara, french fries, ALL types of fruit, PB&J, mac & cheese, corn chex cereal, yogurt, dried fruit (raisins, cranberries), goldfish, hot dogs, pizza... the list goes on.

*Austin loves going to the playground/park. He is starting to not like swinging as much as he did before- probably because he would rather run around on the play scape. But recently he's starting crying when it's time to go. Well, crying- which usually turns into a fit.

*He still dislikes wearing shoes. Now this is probably my fault for never really putting shoes on him until right before he started walking. He will wear them for a while, but then tries to take them off or start chewing on them.... yuck!

*Austin has 12 teeth- I think. He won't really let us put our fingers in there, but I know he has the front 4 on top, front 4 on bottom, and 4 molars. But he's constantly chewing on things, so I have a feeling he's getting more. I'm ready for this to be over.

*His hair is growing (despite what most of you think.) Granted it is growing more in the back, so he's going to need a haircut soon.

*Austin still doesn't like going to the nursery at church. I know we need to be more consistent about it, but still- he has such a problem with separation anxiety (when he's in an unfamiliar place.) One of our neighbor's teenage daughters has starting babysitting Austin. I wanted to have someone that he was familiar with, so that I'd have someone to watch him while I do Pampered Chef (if Shane is gone), or if we just wanted to go out. He loves Lauren, and hasn't once had a fit while she's watching him!

So happy 15 months sweet boy! We love you very much!

Stats from Austin's 15 month appointment:
Weight- 27 lbs 10 oz (85th percentile)
Height- 33 1/2 in (97th percentile)
Head- 47 cm (50th percentile)

He got 3 shots in his arm this time- and cried but only for a few minutes! No shots at 18 months! :)


8 comments:

Kristen said...

LOVE your list! I didn't do 15 month list...now you are making me want to do one. :) I might have to copy your idea. I LOVE reading what other kids are doing at the same age. I wish they could play together.
He is precious as always!

Amy said...

He sounds like a lot of fun!

One idea for an activity - we loved going to the library for storytime. Our old library was great, this one isn't the greatest, but Beckett still loves to go and gets excited about getting new books.

Kim P. said...

Love the picture! I agree on the suggestion for the library as an indoor activity. Even at his age he'll enjoy it. Also our Barnes and Noble has a train table that Ryan started to enjoy as soon as he was walking. I've also taken him to an indoor inflatable play gym and he LOVED it! They had one whole "toddler infatable" and he had so much fun with that. Just make sure you have energy to get in there with him!

Enjoy the naps. They definitely sleep longer once they can run around and burn off all that energy.

Oh, and Ryan is super attached to his paci while teething, but not so much when he isn't. I wouldn't worry about it much until he's done teething, then you can start limiting his time with it. We have Ryan hand us his when he gets up from his crib or the car, and he's really good about it.

Kristen OQ said...

A fun list about your sweet boy!

The jump place in Southlake has a toddler section (if I am remembering correctly). He would have fun at that. The Keller library is renovating and moved to Town Hall temporarily right now (not sure they have even reopened yet, so maybe no storytime) but that is always fun. My boys always loved going to the playarea at the mall during the hot months of summer when they were Austin's age. We would go before the mall opened (around 9) and leave around 10-10:30 once people started showing up to shop. I will try to think of some other things they enjoyed at that age and email you some ideas if I can.

Holly said...

Sweet Austin! He would love Gymboree! The little playscape at church might be an option too. I loved your blurb book, thanks for bringing it!

Lacie said...

15 months!!! Time FLIES! Enjoy it...Little BIt is SOOO in the terrible 2's - tons worse 3's! HeeHee.

Thanks for your kind comment about the rough storm. We are so thanksful for our safety, but still a bit blue about the boys things. It has been a good lesson that material things come and go, but GOd remains!

Love, Lacie

Kelly said...

Cute guy! I took Tate to a Gymboree class starting when he was 10 m.o. until just this past month. (We finally stopped b/c he was getting older and to leave room in the budget for preschool in the fall). But he LOVED it! It was a great expereince.

Dallas said...

what a sweet list! ah, the temper tantrum stage...they become so frustrated with us and have no idea how to express it. fun. he's a cutie! you'll have to take a pic of the hair in the back so we can see it growing :).