Sunday, February 24, 2008

Baby Shower #1- Austin, TX

It's been a whirlwind of a weekend! We left on Friday & drove up to Austin in time to meet friends for dinner at one of my favorite Mexican food places- Hula Hut! It was so good & would have been worth the 3 hr drive itself!

Saturday was the shower! I was able to spend a little time before the shower talking with the hostesses who are some of my closest friends (since we stayed at the house where the shower was being held.) I was so surprised at all of the ladies that came- we are so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family! Austin received a lot of great things & I cannot wait to start unpacking everything and getting them in his room! I'll probably hold off until after my showers this weekend though!

The hostesses did a wonderful job- everything was just perfect! The cake was gorgeous and matched the invitations- of course I loved that! The flowers were beautiful, the food was yummy, and the games were fun! They also got us our travel system, so we actually have a way to bring Austin home now!!! Here are a few pics from the shower~

The flowers & cake (mexican vanilla with buttercream frosting!)




















Hostesses- (B) Christy Taylor, Lisa Skelton, Beth Ward, Anya Guzman, Myra Moran, (F) Amy Clark, Me, Briana Mills














The food (well, not all of it had been put out at this point- but you get the idea.) Cute diaper cake too!













Some of the friends & family that attended













Opening gifts



















Shane's mom (Austin will call her "Gran")













Shane & I after the shower- I was exhausted!



















Later on Saturday evening we met more friends for dinner at PF Changs & had a wonderful time! The two other couples were some of our closest friends. One couple just had a little boy about 4 months ago, and the other is having a baby boy in June! On our way home from dinner I got very teary while talking to Shane about the day- mostly just my nerves getting the best of me! I think the experience of the first shower, getting gifts that we will be using VERY soon, and hearing people say all day "you could have him anytime now" just got me a little scared!

On Sunday we got up and went to church! Again it was wonderful to see familiar faces and have a chance to visit with old friends! I headed home while Shane stayed in Austin one more night so he could go fishing today! I had to get back since I had a dr appt this afternoon!
Stats from Dr Appt:
Weight Gain- 1 lb (27 total)
Blood Pressure- normal
Baby's Heartbeat- normal
Measurement- 36 cm
Baby Position/Est Weight- head down & 5 lbs

26 comments:

Teale said...

de-lurking here... wanted to comment on the CUTE cake! And by the way, what is mexican vanilla? Sounds yummy!

Whitney said...

It's just a much stronger vanilla- very rich tasting!

Jody said...

I can't wait until this Saturday!
We are so happy for you guys.
I promise, when Austin arrives, you will wonder where all of this crazy wonderful love comes from. You will never be able to turn back. It is so amazing!
Every stage is better than the one before! I love it!!

Alyssa said...

I am so glad that your first shower went so well- and I am glad that you had such a great trip to Austin. I know it was fun to be around your friends and family. Looking forward to this weekend :)

maria said...

that's so wonderful that you had a wonderful first shower! All of these experiences are so special and will get you so excited (and nervous) for the birth of your child. Don't worry--I was very nervous about the birth of my firstborn since I never changed a diaper, or really took care of a baby (I even used directions for the first time I had to give Ashlyn a sponge bath-ha!). Just know that you will learn (very quickly) and everything will fall into place, because you will love this new little one so much you're motherly instincts will kick in! You will make a wonderful mother!

BTW, I love that your shower cake matched Austin's nursery decor!

Wendi said...

It looked so cute! I was sad that I couldn't be there. Can't wait to see y'all soon, though!

Kim said...

It was nice to see you this weekend. The cake was so good and pretty too. Thanks for letting Brooklyn come to the shower.

Prince Edward said...

The cake that you shared was GOOD!

Looks like the shower for Austin in Austin was so nice, very pretty, and lots of fun!

We are really excited to shower you again on Saturday!

Amy McCown said...

What a fun weekend. I remember all of those emotions all too well. Once you start having showers it seems to make it even more real. I was so nervous about labor, but once it started all of that just went away. Motherly instict really does just kind of kick in. Being a mom is such an unbelievably wonderful experience and I know that you will be a great one.

Taylor Made said...

Enjoyed seeing you! You look GREAT and we can't wait to see Austin! Thanks for the cute frame, it reminds me of you. Hope you continue to feel ok.

Dallas said...

It looks like you had a great time! I even recognized a few people in your pictures :). You look fantastic and I know Austin will love all of his new toys.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had so much fun! I must say, though, that I'm glad I wasn't there. Estrogen has an aroma... your husband (or any man for that matter) will agree. Lol! Kidding, I promise.

There are a couple of ladies in our smallgroup that are about ready to go into labor any time and one of them is having twins... Perhaps leap year twins.

Take care!

Rebekah Scott, M.MFT, LPC, LMFTA said...

OH MANY I AM SO JEALOUS OF THE HULA HUT!!! I love that place and miss Austin just for the food scene believe me it is not available in Abilene. Glad things went well and you had a good time.

Rebekah Scott, M.MFT, LPC, LMFTA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Whitney said...

Josh,
Are you talking about Kristen Cooper? Yes- we are friends actually! She's actually supposed to be having them tomorrow! If you want to check out her blog, I have a link to it from mine!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kristen said...

So fun! Love the cake! :)
Can't wait for our kids to meet!
I made comment section...ha, ha!

They are going to be a few weeks apart or even a few days! Can't wait for you to meet them and for me to meet Austin.

Have a great shower this weekend, wish I could come---I know all the girls at church will make it beautiful. :)

Emiley said...

Sounds like you had a great time! You are right, it can all be a little overwhelming and so many things unknown. I remember getting to that point and realizing a stork was not going to deliver my baby...I had too! :) Something about that first shower makes everything SO real! Looking forward to this weekend!

Smang said...

I loved my baby showers! It's so much fun to get all the baby things and it really makes it real...you're about to have a baby! :) So excited!

Kathryn said...

Congrats, Whitney! The shower looks beautiful.

CM said...

I'm sorry I couldn't be there, it looks like it was a beautiful shower!

Hello blog buddies! It's me, Crouse! said...

whitney, remember me? i basically took your room when you left harding in december? congrats on your pregnancy! found your blog through brooke and karie-hope you don't mind. i'll be praying for you in the next few weeks. i know everything will be great! add me to the blogs you stalk-it's brookecrousehunt.blogspot.com

love, brooke (crouse) a.k.a. other brooke

Jen Mall said...

You look so cute!!! I love thinking back to those days just before Mason was born. I had no idea what was about to happen to my world! It was totally rocked in a totally wonderful way...you can't even imagine how much you are going to love that little boy!!! So sweet! I am going to miss the shower tomorrow...Kendall is sick...can't wait to read about it and see the pics!

Allison said...

What a great shower!!! I can't believe Mr. Austin will be making his grand appearance so soon!! You take care and enjoy these last couple of weeks!

Alyson said...

Good to know what kind of cake that was.. it was so YUMMY! I thought it tasted a bit like coconut, but nobody seemed to know. Thanks for including me in the shower!